I apologize that this is a few weeks late, but I wanted to share some of the photos from out Ellis Island simulation. Each student was given the role of an immigrant or an immigration officer. The room was set up like Ellis Island and the immigrants had to collect their paperwork and proceed through the slow and numerous lines. They were questioned about their (their character's) health, beliefs, education, religion, and many more of the invasive questions people have to endure during the immigration process. Most students were allowed to enter, but based on health or character issues, a handful were put on a boat and were deported back to their home countries. It was a fun, but sometimes slow and confusing process. Students were able to feel the anxiety and frustration of waiting and being asked very personal questions. The questions were all asked in Spanish, so when language barriers occurred, we talked about how the real immigrants must have felt when they arrived at Ellis Island. All-in-all I think it was a positive learning experience for everyone.




Sunday, May 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
im in 4 of the photos! lol
ReplyDeleteI think I am in 3.
ReplyDeleteI kept getting interrupted while saying the Pledge of Alliance.
I remember that Avery faked having a heart attack in the waiting line, and she said she was now a ghost immigrant. I asked her why she just didn't sneak past the guards. She said there was a ghost barrier.
ReplyDeleteLOL!
um, ur actaully in 5 of the photos
ReplyDeleteTrue.
ReplyDeletehe he he
ReplyDeletewho took the photos?
ReplyDeletebut ur in one of them..... wierd!
ReplyDeletePriscilla took a few right at the beginning...geeze you have good eyes...I didn't even see that, it's the back of my head too...you are good!
ReplyDeleteI KNOW IM GOOD!
ReplyDelete